Sunday, March 11, 2007

Penants

Was I doing some penants today. I should start by saying that we have monsoon conditions here. Wow, I can't remember the last time it rained this hard. I was not sure that I should go today. If I didn't go race I knew I would do nothing at all. I stayed home all day saturday and cleaned the house while the Croatian went and got all the shopping done, because as you all know we need stuff from the mall.....
Anyway, drove to Fort Langley for the hardest race course of the spring series. It has around a 3 km climb and we did 11 eleven laps. Eleven times up this thing in the driving rain! Great!!!
Uh, not. Anyways, we got rolling and it was "a bloc'" from the start. We hit the long downhill in torrential conditions at about 60km an hour. It was a little nerve wracking. We rode the bottom flat part of the course pretty mellow ( that lasted 8 minutes ) and then it was up Armstrong. Holy crap, it was fast. I am not sure I was ready for that. I was on the rivet. I could hear myself breathing like crazy. The group splintered like crazy. Although it did come back together with the exception of 8-9 guys. This repeated itself for about 6 laps when I was uncermonously dropped. First it is 2 feet, the 4 feet, then 8 feet, 16 feet and that is it. From there I rode solo for a lap in no mans land and then the gruppetto picked me up. Rode in a group of about 12 for the most of the race. The climb was really hard. I was pretty disappointed to be dispatched, but I haven't done a lot of intensity this year....make that none, so it was a pretty good effort. This where penants come into it. If you don't do some work you don't get some result. I never planned on being in great shape at this time of the year, but I didn't need to sit around and do nothing for nearly 2 months after cyclocross ended. I did manage to do pretty well with my diet in that time. I layed off the beer which will pretty much sink ya. Other than that I did nothing.
It was warm out, but I still opted for the heat balm " balm who gave you balm? I never told you to put on any balm?" The Maistro gave me the balm! " the Maistro gave me the balm, who is the Maistro" I digress. The balm does work well to help keep you warm when you are soaking wet. The age old rain cape works better than you would think for PVC.
I called convincing tonight. I had some engineering questions for him. I think he get tired of my engineering questions, but he still answers them with gusto. Also, I like the fact that he is amazed that planes fly. He know the physics and he is still amazed. Run it through your brain, it boggles this bloggers mind. Anway, he was riding in the city of Millionaires and came across the A brothers and the Gooner. Convincing said that the Gooner layed the wood to him in the cross winds.
The Croatian is talking about how she needs to buy some bra's? I always wonder how that involves me? I am always gunning for the push up variety!
The Fashionista did not nap today, what a treat she was at about 6 pm. Noting like ME having to be the one to moderate the diputes.
gotta go.

No comments: