Today was the start of the BC Cup Series. It kicked off at Fort Langley. Good turn out all around for the race and the weather was like summer. No need for the heat balm ( who told you to put the balm on? I didn't tell you to put no balm on, do you know what balm does? ) today, it was cooking. Rode the track for a couple of laps and got to witness some suffering going on in the C race. They changed the course this year. There used to be a ball buster of a run, but they took most of it out and cut in some tough switchbacks instead. At the start of the uphill run they had a set of 2 barriers. This all led to a steep Euro shoot and then a log as a barrier that I would guess 90% of people hopped.
Still no masters category this year, just good old A B C, which is fine, but it brings a wide range in the B category. I get a front line starting position with a few guy that I don't remember racing in the top 10 before, but for the most part it was the usual suspects. Gun goes and I get an okay start, but I could not get my foot in that pedal to save my life. I finally get cliced in and we are rounding a sketch turn ( with 56 people in a pack it was a bit sketch ) and I wait for the fire works. There is some guy about 50 meters ahead riding away. No one is riding. I go to bridge up and don't look back, I managed to pass this guy and I am the first one through the single track across the creek and up to the run up. i am towing a few guys with me, but I am pretty happy to be near the front coming into the run up and the climbing single track near the front. One guy gets by me as we are going oer the barriers and about 5 of us are gone. My buddy Brad is there, a guy from Natural Earth is there, a Masi guy is there. There are 3 guys in front of me and Brad, we are tapping it out pretty good. I am riding the uphill paved section, he is riding the long gravel road to the start finish. The first time that he came around me on the start finish line straight he almost killed me. With 3 to go Brad said that a Seattle guy from Ticycles was briding. We did not go deep to stay away, we just kept rolling. He got to us and came by. At first neither or us reacted, but I did not want to let him go, so I went across to him, Brad followed. I got on him and stayed on him pretty good,, but I can't remember what happened, but he got a bit of a gap and I let him go....about 6 feet, and as they say you get dropped 6 feet at a time in cross. He was right there, so we kept it pretty steady, 2 to go I came around Brad in a sandy section and kind popped my self. Some confusion to me as we had lapped a guy in Mighty Riders kit a lap earlier, but now he seemed to be back and went by me going over the barriers? I was WTF? did he tag onto the back of our group? Well he gapped me to, and now Brad is in front of me and so is this guy. Turns out he came up with the Ticycles guy and it was a teammate we had lapped. I am in about 7th place now. I stay on it hard for the last lap and I am making up time on 4-6th, but I am running out of time. Then things get worse, as I am passing a lapped rider he stumbles on the short run up and tells me to go, when I go he starts getting up and whacks me with his bike? On the paved uphill I can see Brad, no catching him, then I see the mighty guy. At this point we are mixed in with some of the lapped A women. I am dodging bodies everywhere basically riding on the centre line. I come around the second to last corner and 6th place is there. I weave through some women and there he is. He doesn't know that I am there, so I leave a small gap and then I start my sprint, it is close, but with a bike throw I get it!
Brad got 4th because the Ticycles guy dropped his chain or something. Brad does not even remember passing him. 6th, not too bad! Happy with that. Brad was happy w/4th!
A race, not sure who won, but they were rolling it fast!!! Rob Britton did not win and that surprised me a bit, I think he flatted and still finished 3rd.
In the womens race "the" Alison Sydor showed up to take the A race, but not without a fight from Kelly Jones. Kelly said that she let her go after 2 or 3 laps. Both women caught a lot of the B's. No women close to Kelly after that.
My 2 women went to a brithday party at a petting zoo and the Fashionista rode a pony!
Nina had the hotwater tank go, while I was gone. First she panicked then she found the shut off in the house( I am not sure I knew where it was) and shut down the water! Damn, smart, pretty and handy!!! no water right now, so I am having some wine. I think the form is getting better! However, that may be the wine talking.....
Sunday, September 9, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment